From missing a single tooth to missing several, gaps in your smile can compromise your dental health and wellbeing. Craters left by missing teeth are prone to infection or periodontal disease.
If you leave these conditions untreated, they can cause damage to your gums and potentially your jawbone. And when you smile, you want to feel confident and happy – gaps in your teeth can leave you feeling vulnerable and insecure. Dental implants can help safeguard against these problems.
Read on to learn more about the benefits of implant dentistry.
Dental implants are permanent, look identical to natural teeth, and are an efficient, affordable, and safe cosmetic option. Just like regular teeth, once your implants are in place, brush your teeth twice daily and visit your dentist regularly.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants consist of a screw or cylinder construction made from medical grade titanium, on which either removable or permanent prosthetic teeth sit. Most implants have three main components:
- the fixture – this is an artificial root embedded in the jawbone
- the abutment – lies above the gum line and supports the crown, denture, or bridge
- the dental prosthesis – the false tooth sits on the abutment.
Dental implants – the process
- Meet with your dentist to discuss your needs
- Your dentist will develop a personalised treatment plan
- Placement of the tooth root implant into the bone socket – over 6-12 weeks, your jawbone will grow around this and secure the implant in place
- Once the fixture is bonded securely to the jawbone, we fit the abutment
- Take an impression of your existing teeth and create a model of your bite
- We create your prosthetic tooth to match your bite
- Prosthetic tooth attached to the abutment.
The dental implant process is straightforward and safe, and once your tooth is fitted, you can smile confidently for the rest of your life. It is likely to last a lifetime if you look after your implant by brushing, flossing, and regularly visiting your dentist.
Who can have implants?
Most people are eligible for dental implants. However, you must have healthy gums and adequate bone to support the implant.
Dental implants will:
- Maintain and strengthen bone structure
- Reduce the risk of facial sagging and premature aging
- Allow you to eat and chew your favourite foods
- Restore your smile and improve your confidence
- Protect existing teeth by preserving bone structure
- Never get cavities
- If well cared for, will last a lifetime
- Be a permanent solution to tooth loss.
Choose Aardent Dental Centre
If you’ve been wondering what to do about your missing teeth, Aardent Dental Centre invites you to schedule an appointment with our team to discuss your treatment options.
Aardent Dental Centre’s team of specialists has extensive oral surgery and restorative dentistry experience, and our goal is to deliver outstanding results. Contact us today.