Veneers and crowns are two restorative dental solutions used to save your smile and improve your teeth’s appearance and function. As they appear to provide the same benefits, many people believe they are interchangeable. However, while they may seem similar, there are some significant differences. To help you decide which cosmetic dentistry option in Perth suits you, let’s look at the difference between veneers and crowns, how they work, and when to use them.
- Manufactured from thin layers of fine, stain-resistant dental porcelain, veneers in Perth are usually only about one millimetre thick.
- Veneers are a non-invasive cosmetic dentistry option, leaving most of your existing tooth intact.
- Your dentist will carefully remove around half a millimetre of the enamel on the front of your tooth. This makes it easier to bond the veneer, as the cement sticks best to rough surfaces.
- The amount of enamel that needs to be reduced varies depending on the veneer type and the condition of your original teeth.
- It’s important to note that you can only place a veneer on a tooth with plenty of existing enamel.
- Dental crowns completely cover the entire tooth.
- Your dentist will file down your tooth before placing the crown.
- Dentists use crowns to restore damaged teeth (decay, cracks, or fractures).
- Crowns are typically manufactured from porcelain, porcelain fused to a metal alloy (PFM), or an all-metal alloy.
- Our dentists in Victoria Park will ensure the crown fits securely over your tooth and will cement it into place.
Veneers vs Crowns
Veneers and crowns are both dental treatments that are manufactured to match the colour of your teeth to give you a seamless, beautiful smile. Once applied, it’s difficult to tell the difference between a veneer and a crown because they each have a similar effect on your smile.
- Veneers are bonded to the front surface of your tooth and may need to be replaced after a certain number of years.
- Crowns cover your entire tooth and are often thicker than veneers. It’s important that the correct decision is made and your dentist will help you with that.
Is a Veneer or Crown Right for Me?
Porcelain veneers are best for cosmetic purposes. If your tooth is mostly intact and needs minor shape correction or an improved appearance, your dentist will likely recommend porcelain veneers.
Choose Aardent Dental Centre for your crowns or veneers in Perth
If you want to explore crowns or veneers in Perth, contact Aardent Dental Centre. Our dentists in Victoria Park can sit and discuss the best cosmetic dentistry options for you here in Perth.
If you’re looking for cosmetic dentistry in Perth, talk to our friendly and experienced team of Victoria Park dentists. Helping people regain their comfort and confidence, is always deeply satisfying.